December 11, 2014

Stuff and Things 12/11


If you're wondering why there's no outfit posts as of late, I'm wondering too.  I'm lazy.  That's it.  Pretty cut and dry.

I'm still coughing my head off.  In an effort to stay on my read aloud schedule, I've been trying to read out loud at school (mustfinishbookbyChristmasbreak) and I just can't with this cough.  I find myself gasping for air.  Yesterday, I gave it to a kid to read out loud and I could continue sorting papers while they were listening.  Win-win. 

I sent [most of] our Christmas cards this week.  This year, they are going to Alaska, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Missouri, just to name a few of the zip codes.  I never thought I'd have friends all over the country because I was strangely sheltered before the army came along.

Scott went on a pheasant hunt on Sunday and before he left he said, "Seriously.  Go do something.".  I suppose he said this because he knows that, left to my own devices, I'll just watch Netflix or something.

The something I did was go to the gym and it was rough.  I don't care what people say or how long is supposedly takes to acclimate to elevation.  I spent 27+ years at sea level.  Colorado is not working out for me.  Or, rather, I'm not working out in Colorado because it's physically painful.  I spend whole hours thinking about this problem and I don't know how to make it better.  Do I have to start all over again when it comes to fitness?

Then I did go home and watch Netflix.  Bomb Girls.  Have you seen it?  It's an interesting perspective of WWII.  I've been inundated with WWII lately.  I go through a phase every couple of years where everything I read/watch seems to be about the 1940s.

We were watching a story on the news about the book Wild and the fact that it's inspired many people to make that 1,000+ mile journey just like the author did.  They were interviewing hikers and chronicling their journeys.  This left us with a question:  Who are these people and how do they have this kind of time?  I think Scott understands more than anyone about just wanting to be outside and away from the daily grind; he hunts and fishes every chance he gets.  Not for the wild game, but for the experience.  However, he said that even he would never be able to justify such a hike.  I know plenty of people who do things like this over summer vacation if they're a teacher, but this trek would be too long for 2.5 months off.  Anyway, just a thought.


<!-- end InLinkz script —>

7 comments:

  1. I'm always shocked when I hear about people doing those kinds of hikes. My best friends sister's husband (follow?) just hiked the Appalachian trail and I'm always like BUT HOW!?!?! haha! I have no outdoors skills. I'd miss a toilet and a shower. Just sayin'. And yeah--when left to my own devices I usually run then camp out on the couch with netflix. But you already know this. And that's why we're friends. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Bomb Girls before, I'll have to add that to my Queue or List or whatever Netflix calls it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, yeah I'm a Florida girl so I can't imagine working out at higher altitudes! Sounds really tough!

    Those hikes sound crazy! On the one hand it would be cool to get away from it all, but on the other I would miss all my modern conveniences and like you say, who has the time to do that??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those kinds of trips and treks always puzzle me, too. I just assume people have vacation time and money saved, or they quit and do it then. I don't know that I could disappear like that for 2.5 months.

    I'm sorry that you're not feeling well. Hopefully it'll all pass soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOO SICKNESS.

    I think a long hike like that someday would be fun, but like you said...who has time/money to be able to disappear for months at a time? I have to say, I'm not a fan of the author of Wild, though. For many, many reasons...I had an extensive conversation with someone who read the book and let's just say the author and I would NOT get along.

    I *just* started watching Bomb Girls a week or two ago - I've only watched one episode, but I have it on good authority that it's a good show and gets better in season 2. I'm saving it for February, though. I've been compiling a list of "to watch" shows/movies for when I'm flying solo and need something to keep me occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing to see all the different zip codes that you can accumulate for friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick and I wanted to do part of the Pacific Crest Trail at one point (along the west coast), but kids happened and we lost the time. I always wondered how they got the time to take these hikes, though. It must take MONTHS of savings to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!