June 15, 2015

Pineapple-Ginger Smoothie + Recipe Recap

Recipe challenge, week twenty-four.

I may be really reaching with this one.  I've said that I don't like smoothie recipes because I don't want to meet the person who needs to follow an exact recipe to make a smoothie.  It's just something you do.  You can't measure out a smoothie. Smoothies are about ingredients, not measurements.  Like, do you measure out ingredients for a milkshake?  Not really.  You just keep adding ice cream and milk until it blends up nicely.  Same with a smoothie.

So, this smoothie has our current favorite ingredients: pineapple, ginger, and coconut milk.  I put in spinach because it's necessary to eat green food and I use half of a banana instead of a whole banana.  It's really just that the banana gives it a good consistency and helps it blend together.  This smoothie is really all about the pineapple.  Sometimes I throw in some mango too.  I buy frozen fruit in bulk so then I always have ingredients on hand.

Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and we really like the health benefits and flavor.  Once I started putting it into smoothies (I usually split a giant smoothie with Scott...when he's around), Scott requested it again and again.  Now, it's just habit.  I buy fresh ginger root and keep it in a Ziploc bag in the freezer (Rachael Ray taught me that) and just shave some off for smoothies, stir-fries, or even desserts.

Sorry this post is boring.  Let's recap what I've made so far this year!

1. Baked Crab Dip
2. Mint Oreo Ice Cream Cake
3. 30 Minute Leek and Potato Soup
4. Company Chili
5. Cookie Dough Ice Cream
6. Scott's Salmon
7. Homemade Marinara Sauce
8. Homemade Naan Pizza
9. Crockpot Chicken Curry
10.  Steak Fries
11. Sort of Homemade Chicken Stock
12. Carrot Cake Blondies
13. Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork
14. Mint Oreo Rice Krispy Treats
15. Basil-Oregano Pesto
16. Italian Couscous
17. Limeaide Margaritas
18. Burrito Bowls
19. Sausage Breakfast Bake
20. Maple Donut Muffins
21. Pumpkin Pupcakes
22. Maple Scones
23. Fajita Quinoa


So for this smoothie...you will need:

Pineapple-Ginger Smoothie

Pineapple chunks
Mango chunks
Half a banana (or a whole one)
1 t. to 1 T. shaved ginger (depending on how much you like the flavor)
3-4 strawberries
1 cup baby spinach (or thereabouts)
Coconut milk (or almond milk or regular milk or...you get it)

Mix it all together in a blender until you get the consistency you like.  I use frozen fruit, but if you're using fresh fruit, I'd throw in a few ice cubes.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I feel that way sometimes with recipes I share - there is no real need for the recipe! But in this case, it's nice to know what you put into this smoothie flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a smoothie fan, but thanks for the ginger in the freezer tip.

    There are people who need a recipe for everything. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love smoothies! I will have to try this. To add some sweetness I usually add dates or a banana. I haven't tried coconut milk I do like to add some coconut water though. I also like to add pineapple. It is like drinking a pina colada. I haven't added any ginger though. So, I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!